This is Range Rover's answer to the Jaguar F-Pace, a high end sister car that will slot between the Evoque and Range Rover Sport. Pricing will start at $50,895 and should compete with others in the sport luxury crossover category as well as traditional SUV category with the likes of the BMW X5, Audi A6 Allroad, Mercedes-Benz GLE-class Coupe, and Volvo XC90 and V90. The Velar will also come equipped with Range Rovers air ride suspension that lets it raise itselse to a maximum of 9.9 inches. Engine choices for the U.S. will range from Ingenium 2.0L diesel making 180hp/317 lb-ft; a 2/0L turbo gas engine producing 247hp, and finally a 380hp 3.0L V6 supercharged gas engine all connected to an 8-speed ZF automatic transmission with full time AWD. But just stand back and take a look at the thing. It's GORGEOUS and unmistakably Range Rover.
Read Press Release
INTRODUCING THE 2018 RANGE ROVER VELAR
- Fourth member of the Range Rover family is positioned between the Range Rover Evoque and the Range Rover Sport models
- Mid-size luxury SUV delivers new levels of refinement, elegance and technology
- Debut of the all-new Land Rover InControl® Touch Pro™ Duo infotainment system, featuring two high-definition 10-inch touchscreens for unrivalled functionality and intuitive operation1
- A compelling, stand out design which features perfectly optimized volume, powerful, taut surfaces and a stunning silhouette
- Design purity emphasized by flush deployable door handles
- Constructed from a lightweight and stiff Aluminum-intensive body structure which enhances performance and agility versus traditional steel construction
- The 113.15-in. wheelbase and intelligently-designed interior deliver 34.4 cu. ft. of luggage space behind row two
- Air suspension is standard on six-cylinder models improving on- and off-road refinement and capability
- All-wheel drive with Intelligent Driveline Dynamics and Adaptive Dynamics damping technology deliver maximum driver engagement on-road2
- Available traction technologies include Terrain Response® 2, Active Rear Locking Differential, All Terrain Progress Control, Low Traction Launch, Hill Descent Control(HDC®) and Gradient Release Control2
- A towing capacity of up to 5,500 lbs in six-cylinder models is complemented by the available Advanced Tow Assist function – instead of directly steering the vehicle when backing up, the driver can aim where they want the trailer to go using the Touch Pro Duo rotary controller, and the vehicle determines what steering inputs are needed to direct the trailer where required 2
- Three available powertrains include a responsive 180HP 2.0-liter Ingenium diesel 4-cylinder, a 247HP 2.0-liter gas Ingenium 4-cylinder and a potent 380HP supercharged 3.0-liter gas V6 engine. Each engine is mated to an 8-speed ZF® transmission with all-wheel drive standard2
- Full suite of available advanced drivers assistance systems including Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist and Intelligent Emergency Braking, Reverse Traffic Detection, and Blind Spot Assist2
- On sale in North America later this year; priced from $49,9003
Joining the Range Rover family slotted between the Range Rover Evoque and Range Rover Sport, the Range Rover Velar offers new levels of luxury, refinement and all-terrain capability to the premium mid-size SUV segment.
Land Rover Chief Design Officer, Gerry McGovern, said: “We call the Velar the avant-garde Range Rover. It brings a new dimension of glamour, modernity and elegance to the brand. The Range Rover Velar changes everything.”
Created as a clean sheet design using Jaguar Land Rover’s Lightweight Aluminum Architecture, the Velar represents the next chapter of the Range Rover success story. The Velar is defined by a visually reductive approach in its design, which evolves the Range Rover DNA and previews the next generation of Range Rover vehicles.
Visually, the Velar is beautifully balanced with powerful proportions; a continuous waist line rises through to the taut tapered lines of the rear and a generous 113.15-inch wheelbase contributes significantly to both its elegant design and spacious interior.
Large alloy wheels – in particular the range of 22-inch designs – optimize the vehicle’s stunning silhouette, while further enhancing the dramatic presence of the vehicle.
Advanced technology is pivotal to the contemporary design: the full-LED headlights are the most slender ever to appear on a production Land Rover vehicle. The flush deployable door handles on the Range Rover Velar help emphasize a taut, elegant design language and contribute to a coefficient of drag of only 0.32Cd making it the most aerodynamically efficient Land Rover vehicle to date.
The interior of the Velar reaffirms ideals of elegant simplicity, sophistication and refinement. An unwavering belief in reductionism has been fully employed, with switches being kept to an absolute minimum to help create a calm streamlined sanctuary.
In order to achieve this elegant simplicity, inside, designers relied on a new InControl Touch Pro Duo infotainment system; the centerpiece of the vehicle’s interior. Touch Pro Duo features two 10-inch high-definition touchscreens2 integrated seamlessly behind hidden-until-lit surfaces. These slim, intuitive displays work in harmony with the cabin architecture while adding an overall sense of modernity congruent with the vehicle’s reductive exterior design approach. All of this is equaled by the vehicle’s practicality: luggage compartment volume is 34.4 cu. ft. behind row two.
Offering greater choice to customers, a sustainable, premium textile seat material is available as an alternative to leather. The Dapple Grey material was developed together with Kvadrat, Europe’s leading manufacturer of high-quality design textiles, and is complemented with Suedecloth inserts in Ebony or Light Oyster.
The light, stiff, aluminum-intensive body, together with double-wishbone front- and Integral Link rear suspension provides the perfect basis for agile handling, superior ride comfort and outstanding refinement.
Combined with a comprehensive restraints system that includes six airbags4, and a suite of advanced driver assistance systems including Autonomous Emergency Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue-Assist and an Adaptive Speed Limiter, the Range Rover Velar integrates the latest automotive technology.
The Range Rover Velar – like all Range Rover vehicles – offers exceptional capability on a variety of surfaces, terrains and weather conditions. The Range Rover Velar features a highly sophisticated all-wheel drive system, available four-corner air suspension and, when equipped with air suspension, a ground clearance of 9.9 in. (8.4 in. with coil springs), wading depth of 25.6 in. (23.6 in. with coil springs) and a suite of traction technologies which include Terrain Response® 2, Active Rear Locking Differential and All Terrain Progress Control2.
Exceptional performance comes from a range of three available diesel and gasoline powertrains, all matched to a smooth-shifting ZF eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive with Intelligent Driveline Dynamics2.
A refined 180HP four-cylinder Ingenium diesel delivers 317 lb-ft. of torque and will be the model’s fuel efficiency leader8. The diesel engine is joined by a new 247HP four-cylinder Ingenium gasoline engine which enables acceleration from 0-60 mph in just 6.4 seconds5. An even more powerful, 380HP supercharged V6 gasoline engine combines sports car performance with a unique soundtrack and enables the Velar to accelerate to 60 mph from a standstill in only 5.3 seconds before reaching an electronically-limited top speed of 155 mph5.
The Range Rover Velar and Velar R-Dynamic range comprises of four selectively available specifications including Standard, S, SE or HSE, with three powertrain options depending on trim. Customers can also specify Black and Premium Exterior Packs for an even more distinguished appearance.
Most exclusive of all will be the Range Rover Velar First Edition. Limited to approximately 500 units in the U.S. and available for one model year only, the Velar First Edition is even more luxurious than the HSE specification. This model is powered solely by the 380HP 3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine and features a wealth of extra features as standard, including a full extended leather interior, as well as a copper weave carbon fiber trim finisher, to complement the perforated Windsor leather seats finished in two tone Light Oyster/Ebony, a 1600W Meridian™ 3D Signature Surround Sound System, and special 22-inch Split-Spoke wheels with diamond-turned finish are also standard.
First Edition models are available exclusively in one of three colors; Corris Grey, Silicon Silver, or Flux Silver– a unique added cost satin finish exclusive to the First Edition, which will be meticulously hand-sprayed at Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations’ Oxford Road Technical Center in the UK.
Land Rover set a new all-time sales record for the U.S. in 2016. In 2017, the brand will launch the all-new fifth generation Discovery and Range Rover Velar, expanding the line up to six models. Designed and engineered at Jaguar Land Rover’s development centers in the UK, the Range Rover Velar will be produced at the company’s Solihull production in facility. In the U.S. it goes on sale later this year, priced from $49,900.